Saturday, April 02, 2011

Ke$ha Week 2011: Day 6, or: Actually, This Station is Pretty Good

You know, after six straight days of listening to Ke$ha and similarly dance-poppy music, it's really starting to grow on me.  I've already bought Lady Gaga's The Fame and pre-ordered Born This Way, and I think I'm headed to the club tonight in hopes of hearing a little Taio Cruz or Iyaz.  And I was really pumped when I got to hear Jason Derulo on the radio yesterday!

Ke$ha Week, Day 6: April 1, 2011

Ke$ha hit of the day: Your Love Is My Drug (remix).  This song paints a very real and intimate picture of Ke$ha's psyche.  She shows vulnerability when she talks about her "sick obsession," and she crafts a subtle and evocative metaphor throughout the song, equating her feelings to a physiological addiction.  By far, the most touching lyric is "my esteem is gonna get affected/ if I keep it up like a lovesick crackhead," where she demonstrates her inability to function separately from her emotions.

Most heartfelt, relatable themes: "Waking Up in Vegas," Katy Perry.  Who among can't relate to slightly awkward circumstances like these: "why are these lights so bright/ did we get hitched last night?"  Repetitive, catchy choruses bring us all back to the times we've had to shake off the glitter in our clothes after waking up somewhere we didn't plan on.

Best example of pop music as art: "Bad Romance," Lady Gaga.  If you haven't seen the video, you're really missing out--it's a stunning artistic vision, combining abstract symbolism with dance pop hooks and dark, minor modalities.

Most inspired chorus: "Iyaz," Replay.  "got me singin' like/ na na na na everyday/ it's like my iPod stuck on replay."  Too few artists pay tribute to the physical medium of music anymore.  Iyaz offers the insight that he's deeply connected to how his fans listen to his music--and with a clever double meaning, succeeds in getting his own song stuck in our heads like all of our respective iPods are stuck on replay.

Did "Like A G6" show up?  Yes, but I had to wait over an hour for it!  The undisputed party anthem of 2010 dares to imagine a universe in which there's something "flyer than a G4" and revels in its electrosynth glory.


Happy April Fool's, everyone.  Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion of Ke$ha Week 2011.

No comments: